Re: [DNSOP] Re: AS112 for TLDs

Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org> Wed, 05 December 2007 19:01 UTC

To: Joe Baptista <baptista@publicroot.org>
From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Re: AS112 for TLDs
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 06:01:43 +1100
Cc: dnsop@ietf.org

> Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> >	It's been done.  IT DOES NOT WORK.  named has code to prevent
> >	the records being added because IT DOES NOT WORK and we got
> >	sick and tired of telling people who ran up against sites
> >	that did it that IT DOES NOT WORK.  It's better to prevent than
> >	to spend repeated amounts of time dealing with the repercussions.
> >
> Can't we make it work?  I appreciate your honesty.  But there are other
> dns packages that do allow it.  I'm looking for the flexibility to
> extra-zone so i can manage root traffic in bind.  Its obvious root get
> bugus traffic - i advocate a traffic can to send those bogus tlds too.
> I would love an AS112 stop sign.  That also eliinate the legal liability
> to me as a commercial operator of root.
>

> >	It's easy to remove the checks but then you need to make sure
> >	all clients will work with the resultant mess.
> >

> It already is a mess.  has been for years.  What we are doing is fixing
> the mess using AS112.  I know alot of root operators who would welcome
> that friendly terminator for wayward traffic.  But I need bind to
> terminate *. NS.  I feel sorry it does not.

	"*." NS will result in lookups for non-existant labels
	return NODATA rather than NXDOMAIN.  This is a BAD change.
	Lots of sites depend upon NXDOMAIN being returned.

	The AS112 delegations return NXDOMAIN for almost all queries
	directed to them as they are the result of gethostbyname().
	The times when they don't but those are when the client is
	searching for the containing zone and expect to get the other
	types of response.

	The queries to the root at a mixture of single and multi-label
	queries.  All the single lable queries (unqualified hostname for
	example) will get a DIFFERENT rcode as a result of this change.

	This does not if the AS112 usage model.