Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

Brian Dickson <briand@ca.afilias.info> Wed, 11 June 2008 16:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:32:51 -0400
From: Brian Dickson <briand@ca.afilias.info>
To: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Cc: "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

Gervase Markham wrote:
> The difference is that the public suffix list is an (attempt at an)
> expression of fact, not policy.

I think is where you are encountering resistance, even though you may
not realize it.

What you are doing is *publishing* something, which alleges to be a
factual list.

Who is on it, who is not on it, and who uses it and how, matter a great
deal.

If the list is 100% complete and 100% accurate and 100% timely, there
are no problems.
Any deviation from that situation, regardless of how much and in what
manner the deviation occurs,
puts the publisher of alleged facts at risk.

And relying on authoritative sources to push data to you, is a reverse
onus that hundreds of years of case
law quite likely present a formidable obstacle, if it becomes necessary
to defend your choice.

Here's a concrete analogy that may be suitable for demonstrating the issue.

Imagine a magazine dedicated to "Tires". It publishes an article on
"Tire Safety".
It contains a list of "Tires (manufacturer/model) safe to use at 180 km/h".
Is the list accurate? Timely? Complete?

If a reader bases a safety decision (buys tires, drives 180 km/h) that
goes badly, then what?

What about recalls?

Also: Publishing a list may be even *riskier* than publishing a single,
but erroneous, "fact".

E.g. what about manufacturers not listed?
They have been implicitly or even explicitly defamed, even if you
include a footnote to the effect that "this list is not complete".