Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> Mon, 09 June 2008 15:39 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:40:02 -0400
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com>
To: dnsop@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Public Suffix List
Sender: dnsop-bounces@ietf.org

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 03:43:29PM +0100, Gervase Markham wrote:

> > RFC 3696 explains, I think, most of the reasoning that I would offer
> > for why I think this is a bad idea.  I urge you and others who are
> > planning to ship this kind of feature to go (re)read that RFC.
>
> Why do you think that the negative consequences explained in that RFC
> would apply in this case? Please think carefully about the consequences
> of possible failure scenarios.

Because what you are proposing to do adds special meaning to certain
labels (and their relative position) and not to others, in exactly the
way that previously people had special interpretations of certain
labels and their positions in the set of labels.  What you're really
trying to do here is extract meaning from the domain name, but you
can't do that reliably.  Previous efforts in that direction have
failed in unexpected ways; and given that you seem to have multiple
ways you want to use this feature, I don't see any reason to believe
you won't have surprising failures too.

The plan is both too narrow and too wide.  First, it will almost
certainly fail to capture 100% of the cases you currently don't want
to succeed.  Second, it will (as we've been arguing in this thread)
not work for new TLDs and other cases.  Your counterargument is that
the behaviFrom dnsop-bounces@ietf.org  Mon Jun  9 08:39:49 2008