Re: [DNSOP] DNSSEC as a Best Current Practice

Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> Wed, 23 March 2022 12:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:46:57 +0900
To: "dnsop@ietf.org WG" <dnsop@ietf.org>
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] DNSSEC as a Best Current Practice

Brian Dickson wrote:

> The difference between this model (client to server transport
> security using IDs) and DNSSEC, is that DNSSEC is resistant to any
> MITM attacks, so long as the resolver's root trust anchor is the same
> as the one published by ICANN/IANA and used to sign the root zone.

Wrong.

If a TLD with its key signed by the root is compromised, which
is a MitM attack, child zones under the TLD are easy victim
of the attack.

Or, if your theory is that we can blindly trust any entity
blessed by ICANN/IANA through some chain as an trustworthy
TTP, then, according to your theory, we can blindly trust
all the ISPs as trustworthy TTPs, because they are blessed
by ICANN/IANA through RIRs, which means there can be no MitM
attacks on ISP chains.

 > I think this is where your argument fails. The trust in DNSSEC is
 > not blind. The validation which is done by a resolver can be
 > confirmed by an end-host, along the entire chain (tree) from root to
 > leaf.

You are totally confused, because I never assumed any compromised
resolver.

 > The validation which is done by a resolver can be
 > confirmed by an end-host, along the entire chain (tree) from root to
 > leaf.

"The validation which is done by a resolver" is not compromised.

I merely mean MitM attacks on some part of the zone chain is
effective both to the resolver and the end-host.

					Masataka Ohta