Re: [hybi] IESG note?, was: Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

Gabriel Montenegro <Gabriel.Montenegro@microsoft.com> Tue, 06 September 2011 21:02 UTC

From: Gabriel Montenegro <Gabriel.Montenegro@microsoft.com>
To: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 21:04:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.90]
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Server-Initiated HTTP <hybi@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "iesg@iesg.org" <iesg@iesg.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] IESG note?, was: Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

Today, firewalls are not effective against HTTP. Websockets do not represent a new communication pattern leveraging HTTP. There is a VERY old tradition of doing this, some with wide distribution (see RFC6202 for some discussion of things websockets will hopefully replace).

So the problem is not new, and HTTP is already being used for communication patterns different from the original request/response. Some firewalls may already be cognizant of some of those approaches, but given the ad hoc nature, I don't believe they handle all the possibilities. Of course, if traffic is over HTTPS the firewalls can't do much against that (ignoring some dirty tricks).

What is new is that websockets provides a clear indication that a communication pattern different from the basic request/response is about to take over: the websocket handshake. This handshake is actually a good tool that was previously unavailable to network administrators. They can use it to impose a given policy within their site, if that's what is desired. There is no way to practically do this with other approaches at asynchronous communications over HTTP.

If the firewalls decide to allow websocket traffic through, the masking was designed to allow them to trivially inspect the subsequent  data traffic, given that the masking key is sent along with each frame.