Re: IETF Last Call for two IPR WG Dcouments

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> Sun, 30 March 2008 09:25 UTC

From: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Subject: Re: IETF Last Call for two IPR WG Dcouments
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:25:20 +0200
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

I'm cc'ing ietf@ietf.org since others may have the same question.

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> writes:

> I'll leave it up to others to comment on list, but you did not
> actually answer the question.
> How is it possible to write a license that lets anyone use the code
> any way they want, and modify it any way they want, but not have that
> license permit use in the open source projects you list.

The problem is that the wishes as expressed right now are too sketchy to
provide sufficient information for the trust to produce a good license.

There are examples of projects with good intentions that want to give
everyone the right to use code they publish in any way to end up with
copying conditions that prevent some subset of the community from using
the software.

Look at the mailing list archive of debian-legal.  Most of the software
licenses that are reviewed there have been written by organizations that
wants open source-friendly distribution of their code, but happens to
make one mistake or the other.

If people involved in free software licensing have trouble getting this
right, I have little confidence that people not involved in the free
software licensing will get the right.  Providing them with some
mechanism to test their proposed license against (i.e., the
OSD/FSD/DFSG) will help to avoid at least the most basic mistakes.

Ray asked if there were some reason to not use the NPOSL for this.  I
read that to imply that he thought the license would be a candidate.  If
my proposed text has been part of the documents, we could easily explain
how and why that license doesn't meet a needed criteria.

Thanks,
Simon