Re: [Internetgovtech] Involvement from other constituencies

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com> Sun, 02 March 2014 09:02 UTC

Return-Path: <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
X-Original-To: internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 2F55A1A0864 for <internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com>; Sun, 2 Mar 2014 01:02:34 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -0.141
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-0.141 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, HELO_MISMATCH_INFO=1.448, HOST_MISMATCH_NET=0.311] autolearn=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id Vs0W5tnOixwq for <internetgovtech@ietfa.amsl.com>; Sun, 2 Mar 2014 01:02:32 -0800 (PST)
Received: from mx1.yitter.info (ow5p.x.rootbsd.net [208.79.81.114]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 441411A080B for <internetgovtech@iab.org>; Sun, 2 Mar 2014 01:02:32 -0800 (PST)
Received: from mx1.yitter.info (unknown [130.129.155.113]) (using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by mx1.yitter.info (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id E46438A031 for <internetgovtech@iab.org>; Sun, 2 Mar 2014 09:02:27 +0000 (UTC)
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 04:02:26 -0500
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
To: internetgovtech@iab.org
Message-ID: <20140302090225.GB3482@mx1.yitter.info>
References: <CAOLD2+Y+_WvKpLhM6vOf+SFUK8YJ9vMKytf3_942XNZGNd7bMg@mail.gmail.com> <D8529204-F46A-498E-8FF2-143B90F950B6@tik.ee.ethz.ch> <02c101cf32fc$d92287e0$8b6797a0$@riw.us> <53116F75.1050208@cis-india.org> <016101cf3551$33df5090$9b9df1b0$@riw.us> <633B4C82-35A6-40EE-9313-6F549D125463@istaff.org> <20140301152942.GF2941@mx1.yitter.info> <CAOLD2+Zx7o-iFJX+0ES1zei+GhRS2=EfgPYT-bpYC4sPYNZ-4A@mail.gmail.com> <20140301235209.GB3277@mx1.yitter.info> <CAOLD2+aL7jqH=qo6gHXLNOqrxFBpMa_OqVZnAGW2xTVCcccnzQ@mail.gmail.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Disposition: inline
In-Reply-To: <CAOLD2+aL7jqH=qo6gHXLNOqrxFBpMa_OqVZnAGW2xTVCcccnzQ@mail.gmail.com>
User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.21 (2010-09-15)
Archived-At: http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/internetgovtech/SwdcTPpczuzz27q5wZTkKcY9yeU
Subject: Re: [Internetgovtech] Involvement from other constituencies
X-BeenThere: internetgovtech@iab.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: Internet Governance and IETF technical work <internetgovtech.iab.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.iab.org/mailman/options/internetgovtech>, <mailto:internetgovtech-request@iab.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.iab.org/mail-archive/web/internetgovtech/>
List-Post: <mailto:internetgovtech@iab.org>
List-Help: <mailto:internetgovtech-request@iab.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/internetgovtech>, <mailto:internetgovtech-request@iab.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 09:02:34 -0000

On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 09:36:12AM +0100, Andrea Glorioso wrote:

> "representativity". Perhaps because of this, I can't well understand how
> you would get the "range of views to take into consideration" without
> enlarging the range of participants.

Some think that there is an approximate 1:1 relationship between
people and a view.  I just don't believe that, because I know that I
myself am able to contemplate things from more than one point of view.
Often, in an area where I am sufficiently experienced, I can come up
with the entire problem statement on my own without polling anyone,
and it'll be close enough for the purposes of starting work.  This
does not rely on including more people, but rather on including more
points of view. 

I suppose one could say that this is implicitly "enlarging the range
of participants" by proxy: I happen to know a lot about certain areas,
so I can put myself in the other's shoes and get the problem statement
close enough that, at least in the early stages, it's possible to do
useful work.  That description makes me uncomfortable because of the
importance it places on people rather than premises, but if it makes
others happier I could live with it.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
ajs@anvilwalrusden.com