Re: [Manycouches] Daniel presentation @ 113 - virtual interim meetings

Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch> Wed, 13 April 2022 06:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 08:48:06 +0200
To: John C Klensin <john@jck.com>
Cc: Manycouches@ietf.org
From: Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch>
Subject: Re: [Manycouches] Daniel presentation @ 113 - virtual interim meetings

Hi John,

Your note ties to Mark Nottingham's draft about the scheduling of
virtual interims.

I'll just add that "dropping in" is something that could be better
facilitated by virtual interims because there are less chances of
conflicts.  That's because there are so many simultaneous tracks at an
in-person IETF meeting.

I'm not sure I agree with you about not holding in-person interims.  I
firmly believe that the RFC Editor Future Development Program could have
accomplished its work about a year sooner than we did, had we been able
to meet in person.  Of course, the chairs couldn't even begin to
contemplate such a meeting due to COVID. But I will note that almost
*all* of our progress was made in high bandwidth settings, and
conversely almost *none* of the serious issues we faced got resolved
over email.  Now, that may have been the nature of the work.  The
program wasn't a working group, and in particular it largely didn't
address technical problems.

Still, what I take from that is that once one has a good starting point,
there are phases of work within a working group where high bandwidth
access is very important, and one hour every three months isn't going to
cut it.  If there are substantial amounts of issues to be discussed,
then a two or even three day face to face seems appropriate.  I think
the httpbis working group demonstrated that with great success.

Was there a mono-culture in that working group? Maybe so, but the
alternative would be that not only would http3 not be on the way, but
likely http2 would still be in process.  And we certainly didn't have a
mono-culture in the RFC program, and we had plenty of interims.

I'm not saying that every dispute can be resolved just due to an in
person meeting.  Sometimes, other factors come into play.  For those who
particpated in webrtc, it seemed that an evolution of thought and
process was required.  I think I saw some of that in the RFC program as
well.

Eliot