Re: [Manycouches] Daniel presentation @ 113

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Tue, 12 April 2022 16:59 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 18:59:29 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch>
Cc: Manycouches@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Manycouches] Daniel presentation @ 113

Eliot, *:

I think it would be prudent to stick to planning for manycouches for the goals
of creating better work result for the IETF and a better IETF experience for
its participants. And not go beyond.

Once we go into broader goals such as "save the planet", we can not escape comparing
any ideas we have with other ideas to see how relevant our ideas are in absolute
or even relative terms to make decisions about them.

For example: Should i save energy by flying less. Sure ? maybe ? But how about
looking at overpopulation as the root cause of the presuamble appropriate per-head
exhaustion levels and then distinguishing between people who do contribute to
 overpopulation and those who don't, and give the latter carbon credit.

I'd hope we would want to any such discussions at best only over a beer (if at all), but
not in scope of any actual work. And as soon as we expand our scope beyond what i proposed,
but into the realms that you propose, i think it would brecome very hard to not run
into these type of comparison issues to vet any ideas we come up with.

And of course even the much simpler considerations such as "most carbon offset
mechanisms suck" are way beyond our realm.

A lot of those broader issues will already be forced into our limited scope by
participants constraints through economic means / company regulations and the like,
so we will inherit them, but do not really need to try to have educated opinions
about them ourselves (IMHO).

Cheers
    Toerless