Re: [Manycouches] Daniel presentation @ 113

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Fri, 15 April 2022 08:48 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:48:39 +0200
To: manycouches@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Manycouches] Daniel presentation @ 113

Le 13/04/2022 à 10:27, Vittorio Bertola a écrit :

>> Il 12/04/2022 11:56 Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org> ha scritto:
>>

>> Hi Eliot
>>
>> The major point about offsetting, which I think we agree about, is
>>  that offsetting is an "after the fact" action, not a preventative
>>  measure.  I understand that some will say "what’s the harm in
>> meeting X times, if we offset all the emissions" but, without
>> commenting on the rights and wrongs of that, the response to that
>> should not be to attack offsetting as a concept.  Instead, we
>> should be taking the approach that it is vital for us to offset all
>> of our emissions, whatever the level of those emissions.  In other
>> words whether we meet three times a year or once a year, we should
>> be offsetting those emissions.
> I am all in favour of donations from the IETF to any carbon
> offsetting mechanism. I just want to add that there is a global
> regulatory trend to include additional carbon taxes into the cost of
>  air travel, so it may be that our emissions are offset already when
>  we buy the ticket. Still, the more the better.
>
> Also, in philosophical terms, I do take issue with Daniel's comment
> during the presentation that travelling in person is "20th century"
> and travelling virtually is "21st century". Actually, when people are
> asked what progress would be to them, many mention the ability of
> being able to travel more, and more freely, and know other cultures
> better. One would hope that by seeing more of the world the IETFers
> would generally be more open minded, at least if they manage to get
> out of the hotel every now and then :) And I do feel sometimes that
> this community is narrow minded and scarcely diverse.

I agree with both comments about travelling in-person being 20th
century, and about the inner need of mobility freedom and culture openness.

In that sense, there is this new view of the multimodal transportation.
  Traditionally, multimodal transportation means to combine various modes
(train, car, etc) to effectively bring a person to a destination. But a
new view might consider the  virtual presence to be an additional step
in that chain of modes.

Travel in person, but only up to the point where Internet is so good
that a digital projection of the person to the meeting room, and back,
largely outcomes the costs of carbon emissions of further travel beyond
that point.

For example: travel materially from home to the closest 'cave' equipped
with sensors and Internet at terabit/s bandwidth, and immerse from there
to the IETF meeting room on the Internet, rather than taking a plane.

Alex