Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on IESG Changes in the -cs draft ? [Fwd: Protocol Action: 'Session Description Protocol (SDP) Extension For Setting Audio and Video Media Streams Over Circuit-Switched Bearers In The Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-cs-21.txt)]

Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com> Fri, 09 August 2013 23:33 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 19:28:11 -0400
To: Flemming Andreasen <fandreas@cisco.com>
Cc: mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Comments on IESG Changes in the -cs draft ? [Fwd: Protocol Action: 'Session Description Protocol (SDP) Extension For Setting Audio and Video Media Streams Over Circuit-Switched Bearers In The Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-cs-21.txt)]

Wow.  I can kinda understand why they'd say that (interop reasons, presumably), but that's a big deal.  The 3 mechanisms are very different, with very different architectural and deployment implications.  I have a very hard time believing any of us would truly implement all three.  In fact, I don't truly believe anyone would.

So... I hate to do this, but can the authors summarize the history of how we got 3 mechanisms to begin with, and who would really implement them all?

Or to put it another way, instead of specifying all 3, would it be impossible to take a step back and reconsider the real motivating use-case (which as far as I know is 3GPP), and only specify the one they need/use?

-hadriel