Re: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp-04.txt> (Encapsulating MPLS in UDP) to Proposed Standard

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Wed, 22 January 2014 15:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 07:46:32 -0800
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: curtis@ipv6.occnc.com, "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp-04.txt> (Encapsulating MPLS in UDP) to Proposed Standard

On 1/17/2014 9:19 AM, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> Lars,
>
> We seem to be in an endless loop here.
>
> You have made your assertions about your desire to uphold the purity
> of any new UDP applications and adhere to the BCP you wrote.

The BCP that the transport area as a whole recommends, in conjunction
with the IETF as a whole.

> You appear to be very nearly alone in this argument...

The IETF is a very large DDOS attack on people's time. It's very easy
for faulty ideas to pop up and not be challenged - easy because there
are a lot of people (companies) with vested (financial) interest in
promoting their particular approaches, and only a few people who care to
spend the time playing "whack a mole" to defend the Internet against
these approaches (by either pulling them back into compliance with
agreed principles, such as BCPs, or shooting down ideas altogether).

So if your room is full of your own choir singing so loud for your own
sake that you can't hear the objections of the few who are providing
feedback from outside the room, that shouldn't be surprising. But that
neither means the choir is in tune nor that there aren't many outside
the room (or who don't attend meetings) who aren't trying to tell you
otherwise.

FWIW.

:-)

Joe