Re: [pcp] WG Call for Adoption: draft-boucadair-pcp-nat64-prefix64-option

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 28 January 2013 10:03 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Dave Thaler <dthaler@microsoft.com>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:03:10 +0100
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Subject: Re: [pcp] WG Call for Adoption: draft-boucadair-pcp-nat64-prefix64-option

Dear Dave,

For your question about DHCP, I have already answered to this question here: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pcp/current/msg02258.html.

Additional items in which PCP is superior to DHCP are:

* Retrieving the information directly from the discovered PCP Server(s) is more flexible from an operational perspective: think about changing the PREFIX64 configured to a NAT64, for planned maintenance operations the traffic may be redirected to another NAT64 (can be achieved by using a distinct PREFIX64 for that backup NAT64), deployment of several NAT64 with distinct PREFIX64s, etc.

* For organizations which adopt a two-level indirection (centralized DHCP server for generic configuration) and a regional team to operate regional portions of the network, the information about the PREFIX64 used in each regional area may not be available at the DHCP level.

* Unlike DHCP, applications may embed a PCP Client (see for instance http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-pcp-nat64-experiments-00#section-4.2)

Cheers,
Med