Re: [RAI] Global Service Provider ID - draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn-01

"PFAUTZ, PENN L" <pp3129@att.com> Fri, 23 September 2011 15:35 UTC

From: "PFAUTZ, PENN L" <pp3129@att.com>
To: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com>, "rai@ietf.org" <rai@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:37:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.91.160.51]
Subject: Re: [RAI] Global Service Provider ID - draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn-01

Dale:
I believe open registration as in IANA is important. When SPID was discussed in the i3 Forum most folks came to the
conclusion that traffic exchanges (and support for such exchanges is a major driver for SPID) would occur between many
different types of entities, certainly beyond those recognized as "carriers" or "recognized operating authorities" under various
national and international regimes. So the idea is any entity ought to be able to get a SPID, even though the focus was on service providers
rather than individuals. Having a SPID just means having an identifier to use in enabling exchanges but the terms of any restrictions
would be a matter between the entities involved.

Penn Pfautz
AT&T Access Management
+1-732-420-4962