[saag] Credential portability RE: SHA-1 to SHA-n transition

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> Wed, 04 March 2009 18:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:48:15 -0800
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
To: Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu>, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>
Cc: saag@ietf.org
Subject: [saag] Credential portability RE: SHA-1 to SHA-n transition

There are nine machines that have a keyboard and display in the house, but I only use three of them on a regular basis.

I think that is the point. Even if I end up having to register or pair each machine, that is three registrations, and once that is done I should have seamless access across all three machines.

Basically any scheme that is robust enough to cope with the fact that desktops have a five year max lifespan and laptops typically two is going to be able to cope with the degree of portability that most users require.

Having spent a whole night last week trying to install ubuntu, only to discover that the official 'CD-ROM' distribution is too large to fit on a CD-ROM, I am somewhat skeptical as to the claims made by techies as to usability. Incidentally, that is also the reason that hardware has a more limited effective life than folk imagine.