Re: [saag] SHA-1 to SHA-n transition

"Hannes Tschofenig" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Sun, 22 February 2009 09:57 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: 'Eric Rescorla' <ekr@networkresonance.com>, 'Stephen Kent' <kent@bbn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:58:11 +0200
Cc: saag@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [saag] SHA-1 to SHA-n transition

Hi Ekr,

Stephen is referring to the nice presenation at the Black Hat conference,
see
http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-dc-09/Marlinspike/BlackHat-DC-09-Ma
rlinspike-Defeating-SSL.pdf

I don't think that there is anything new in there but the slide set provides
a nice sate-of-the-art summary and points to the importance of properly
designed user interfaces. On the latter issue I have also noticed that in
the IETF we used to say that user-interface aspects are outside the scope of
our work. This leads to totally ignoring the way how the user utilizes the
protocols we develop (even though I understand that we don't want to
standardize a particular interface itself). However, for the complete
solution the user experience is something really important. My recent
examples were user interface aspect matter are: authorization policies we
use in the SIP environment, SIP Identity/SIP Security, early warning
messages, all sorts of identity management solutions (although they are
mostly developed outside the IETF).

Ciao
Hannes