Re: [saag] SHA-1 to SHA-n transition

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> Fri, 27 February 2009 13:40 UTC

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 05:41:01 -0800
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com>, Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com>
Cc: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents-Montreal.ORG>, saag@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [saag] SHA-1 to SHA-n transition

EKR,

I would like to dispute one small part of this. I think we do know something about UI.

A UI works if the user has to do absolutely nothing to be secure. The more that a user is required to do, the less likely they are to do it correctly.

Since we cannot expect the end user to know SHA1 or SHA2 from a potato we cannot present the typical user with any UI change whatsoever. End of story.

We can put some options in for the expert user, but we probably don't want those to be too easy to get at.