Re: [apps-discuss] A modest proposal for MIME types (and URI schemes)

Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> Mon, 14 November 2011 10:10 UTC

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 07:58:34 +0000
From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: Roy Fielding <fielding@adobe.com>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] A modest proposal for MIME types (and URI schemes)

On 13/11/2011 18:59, Larry Masinter wrote:
 > I find this perspective appealing, and can't find anything wrong with it
except that it's a break with tradition.

+1

In particular, I think, the tradition that IANA registries were/are an extension
point for the IETF standards series (a perspective, if not strictly true).  The
concern, and this was voiced quite strongly by some participants when we were
working on the header field registry, is that appearance in an IANA registry may
give the appearance of being an IETF standard.

But I sense that, in the applications area at least, the world has moved on and
there are other ways for developers to figure out which options are likely to be
interoperable.

I think it's worth considering.

#g