Re: [apps-discuss] A modest proposal for MIME types (and URI schemes)

Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@guppylake.com> Mon, 14 November 2011 15:32 UTC

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@guppylake.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:32:12 -0500
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: Roy Fielding <fielding@adobe.com>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] A modest proposal for MIME types (and URI schemes)

I certainly don't believe that name collisions are irrelevant; they can cause plenty of problems.  In particular, I don't understand what's supposed to happen in this kind of case:

1.  Company X designs a new media type, perhaps even only for internal use, and registers it as application/foobar

2.  Company Y designs something entirely different and registers it as application/foobar as well.

3.  Each company builds up months or years of experience with their own type, which gets scattered all through the archives, etc.

4.  Company X buys company Y and starts to integrate its infrastructure.

This wouldn't trouble me so much if there were *any* way to tell the two uses apart.  Isn't that the whole point of a registry?  If name collisions are to be allowed, why do we need a registry at all?  Why not just have independent communities of folk wisdom with their own interpretations of media type names, and pay big bucks to consultants to sort out the problems?

If I want to define a media type for a moving picture flip-book, is it really OK if I call it "My Pictures Emerge Galloping" and use a media type of video/mpeg?  Mightn't my doing that cause problems for a whole lot of people with no responsibility for my idiocy?  -- Nathaniel