Re: [Autoconf] what's a router (was: WC consensus call for RFC5889 modifications )

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 05 August 2010 09:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:21:37 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: autoconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] what's a router (was: WC consensus call for RFC5889 modifications )

Le 05/08/2010 10:38, Henning Rogge a écrit :
> On Wed August 4 2010 15:07:14 Charles E. Perkins wrote:
>> Hello Henning,
>>
>> On 8/3/2010 10:55 PM, Henning Rogge wrote:
>>> If you run a part of the routing protocol to connect the "host" to the
>>> MANET, it's a router in my oppinion (Ripple would call it a leaf node
>>> for example).
>>
>> What if your host gets an address by running
>> "autoconf.exe", which is not a routing program?
 >
> Does your host set up a route towards the next router and maintains it if the
> topology data from the router changes ? If yes I would say it's a primitive
> router too. If no, it's not.

To me a router is a device and its software doing this:
- has a routing table called such.
- does longest-prefix match algorithm to search in it.  This operation
   is not specified (no RFC) but it is there everywhere in every router,
   thanks BSD.
- includes that route.h I believe as CP said.
- has multiple interfaces.

In a sense every other host (my Windows PC) is a router because it does
all these things.  My PDA, my cell phone, are all routers.

 From this perspective, it is difficult to define what a Host is because
everything seems to be a router to me - once it's connected to the
Internet it is a router.  A supercomputer is a router too, though it
won't route as a DFZ 192-processor router would route.

Alex