Re: [dnsext] we need help to make names the same, was draft-yao-dnsext-identical-resolution-02 comment

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com> Wed, 16 February 2011 17:14 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:14:30 -0500
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@shinkuro.com>
To: dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] we need help to make names the same, was draft-yao-dnsext-identical-resolution-02 comment

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 07:43:30AM +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:
> (*) I think it's really about orthographic representation rather than
> spelling: we aren't really talking about jail.com and gaol.com, are
> we?

As co-chair but without having discussed with Olafur: We are talking
about whatever zone administrators want to be equivalent, I think.
This absolutely is not, no way, the DNS and Linguistic Harmony
Extenions Working Group.  We are not well enough versed in the
linguistic differences between two different spellings "in English"
and the two scripts that are used to write Chinese for us to begin to
make decisions on the basis of that sort of distinction.

No hat: One of the possibilities I think could come of the
requirements assessment is that something new is needed: the desires
that people have for locale-sensitive representations in the naming
system on the Internet perhaps simply cannot be accommodated in the
actual DNS as it is deployed and can realistically be modified.  This
amounts to saying, "We are at the end of incremental improvements of
this sort for the DNS, and if people want new features, they have to
go invent DNSng."  That is a legitimate possible answer if we look
very hard at the problems we are trying to solve, even if we don't
like it.

This is why I, at least, have been adamant that we need a problem
statement before we start trying to solve the problem.  It would be a
bad thing to add a bunch of complications that don't actually address
the real problems.  This is also why I have been so unhappy that we
have attracted little interest from the applications area crowd, who
will have to use anything we end up delivering.  If we can't tell
whether what we are talking about looks like a real problem to (say)
web browser writers, how will we know whether what we propose to do is
going to have any effect?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.