Re: Applying "Note Well" to side meetings

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sun, 21 July 2019 14:01 UTC

Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 10:01:09 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>, "Scott O. Bradner" <sob@sobco.com>
cc: IETF Rinse Repeat <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Applying "Note Well" to side meetings

Colin,

The problem is that, if ANSW is an IRTF group and/or it is using
facilities that are supported in any way by the IETF (probably
including such things as discounts on hotel or meeting rooms due
to the IETF contract), you don't get to decide, any more than
you get to decide that whatever rule Montreal has about public
drunkenness don't apply.  If you want to be exempt, don't
co-locate or use IETF facilities and consult with the IAB, the
IETF LLC, and appropriate lawyers as to whether other measures
are appropriate.

Phill's comments about concealing the existence of patents
(pending or granted) in order to strengthen their position in
the marketplace would apply whether the IETF has its IPR rules
or not.

Long ago, almost certainly before IASA 1.0, the IETF had a
fairly firm rule about pre-organized side meetings which were
not part of the IETF process.  They were not allowed to use
_any_ IETF-provided or related resource or facilities.
Concurrent or co-located meetings were discouraged, cards
announcing such meetings were taken off announcement bulletin
boards, companies wanting to hold staff meeting or do recruiting
were told use a different hotel or other location, and so on.
Just "no".     I never asked, but assumed that was done on
advice of counsel because it kept the lines extremely clear.  If
it was, I can even guess at the name of the relevant lawyer.

Coming back to my response to Warren, I fear that we are
behaving in a way that encourages trying to draw fine lines and
hair-splitting.  I don't think that is good for the IETF
generally.   Given that some to the issues could involve acts
that are criminal in some locations and that courts might
disagree with how we split those hairs, I also hope that ADs,
IETF LLC Board members, and anyone similarly situated how gotten
advice from their lawyers about potential risks.

(my last posting on this thread before I get to Montreal)

best,
  john

--On Sunday, 21 July, 2019 09:36 -0400 Colin Perkins