Re: Options for IETF administrative restructuring

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 26 August 2004 19:27 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:19:43 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Options for IETF administrative restructuring
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Leslie and Harald,

I would like to make one suggestion about this process.  For
suggestions about substance, I will, of course, wait for the
final -00 version of the draft.   This note is deliberately
being sent before I have done so because I don't want my remarks
to be biased by how I feel about its specific content.

There was considerable confusion in San Diego, and earlier,
induced by large numbers of sub-discussions, with different,
sometimes designated, groups of people holding discussions and
not having access to each other's comments.  Harald responded to
comments about this during the plenary by indicating that, once
the draft was posted, everything would be public.

So I would like to suggest that any discussions within or among
the IAB and IESG, or subsets of them, or between them and other
groups, take place on mailing lists whose archives are public
and/or which can be subscribed to (even if only on a read-only
basis) by interested members of the community.

The key strategic decisions here (as distinct from the fine
details) have to be made with the informed consent of the IETF
community.   To me, that implies that all of the options and
their pros and cons have to be on the table: after the fact,
there should not be even a suspicion that the choice was
influenced by discussions of only a reduced set of options.

I note in particular that your first "next step" reads "Have a
public discussion on the IETF list on the options presented in
the draft".   I think that is exactly correct iff the community
is reasonably assured that _all_ of the plausible options have
been identified, and fairly described, in the draft.  I hope and
trust that is the case, but any suspicions, engendered by
private discussion, that some options have been excluded from
discussion by excluding them from the draft, would be extremely
harmful and should be avoided.

As you said, we need to take the time to get this right.  We
also need to be sure that the community emerges from the process
confident that all of the options have been fairly considered in
the process of selecting the right one.

thanks,
    john

--On Thursday, August 26, 2004 11:16 AM -0400 Leslie Daigle