RE: Options for IETF administrative restructuring

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Mon, 06 September 2004 08:55 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: Aaron Falk <falk@ISI.EDU>, ietf@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:47:06 +0200
Subject: RE: Options for IETF administrative restructuring
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Aaron,

I hope you had noticed that I stated that IF we were to choose
between A and B, that my preference would be for B. And indeed,
the below argument for C would then be (one of) my reason(s) for
choosing B over A.

I am not sure that C creates really so much more "distance" as what we
would create with B. Some of the extra safeguards that I see we would
want with B would also create some "distance".

The benefit of C is (in my opinion) that it does not assume a default
(strong) relationship, but that it requires both organisations to
actively want to continue/renew the relationship every so many years.
And such checkpoints are nice and good points where the relationship
can (and in my view will) be evaluated and if any friction has developed
then at such checkpoints the friction can (timely and naturally) be
corrected.

Thanks, Bert