Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org> Fri, 07 August 2015 14:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 10:29:46 -0400
From: Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>
To: Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard
Cc: "dnsop@ietf.org" <dnsop@ietf.org>

On 08/07/2015 09:50 AM, Edward Lewis wrote:
> (The last call is still on...)
>
> I am trying to write another document and wanted to include descriptions
> of ".onion" names.
>
> I'm seeking authoritative references but am having some trouble doing so.
> This isn't meant to be a replay of my previous comment that the draft
> under discussion is poorly supported by documents - which it is to some
> extent - but I really would like to find reliable references.  The last
> call document is sparse on references, and there's not much from other
> sources I see (Wikipedia.org).

You might find https://spec.torproject.org/ helpful as a listing of
various tor specs and design documents, if you prefer that to a git
repository.

While Tor has not necessarily used IETF conventions, the project has
long been committed to public documentation of its design and protocol
choices. Tor distinguishes between "proposals," not yet implemented, and
specs.[1]

--Wendy
[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/