Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

David Cake <dave@difference.com.au> Mon, 20 July 2015 04:07 UTC

Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard
From: David Cake <dave@difference.com.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 12:06:54 +0800
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Cc: Richard Barnes <rlb@ipv.sx>, dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

As someone with moderate experience in both DNS and web server configuration, FWIW I found the meaning relatively obvious. The notion that HTTP Host headers might be used to change web server response independent of name resolution (e.g. that two names that return identical responses to every possible DNS query, but produce different web server responses) has been fairly intrinsic to how web servers operate for a couple of decades now, and this seems a simple but useful clarification regarding how this operates for .onion names to me.

David