Confusion about ISMS rechartering

Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu> Wed, 07 September 2005 16:44 UTC

To: dcrocker@bbiw.net
From: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:12:01 -0400
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: Confusion about ISMS rechartering
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

    >> Certainly one of the reasons I requested IETF-wide review for
    >> the ISMS recharter is so that decisions like this can be
    >> reviewed by the community.  The IAB gets to see charters at
    >> about the same time as the IESG does; they have sent no
    >> negative comments to this charter.

    Dave> Sam, I've tried to search the ietf-announce archives,
    Dave> google, etc. for any sort of announcements, outside of the
    Dave> isms working group, concerning the draft re-chartering text
    Dave> for isms.  Unfortunately I have not been able to find it, so
    Dave> I do not know what request of yours you are referring to.

There's a bit of a lag from the IESG's decision to send a charter out
for review and the actual announcement of the charter text.  The IESg
requested review of the charter at last Thursday's telechat; Eliot was
reacting to that but wanted to get discussion started without waiting
for the formal announcement to ietf-announcce.  I agree that Eliot's
concerns do not need to wait for a formal message to ietf-announce
before we consider them.

    Dave> In any event, I think the significance of Eliot's (and Steve
    Dave> Bellovin's) postings have less to do with a chartering event
    Dave> and more to do with decisions made DURING a working group's
    Dave> normal activities.  In particular, when a working group gets
    Dave> to the point of making a decision that has broad
    Dave> architectural or operational impact, it is the expertise of
    Dave> ADs, IAB members, and other senior participants, that can
    Dave> serve to raise a question to the larger community, exactly
    Dave> as Eliot is now doing.

I actually disagree with you in this instance but agree that what you
are talking about can and does happen.

In this instance, the whole point of the charter was to reach a
direction within the working group that has broad architectural impact
and then to review that decision with the community.  So, I think
Eliot and Steve's concerns are directly tied to the chartering event.

--Sam