Re: ISMS working group and charter problems

Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com> Thu, 08 September 2005 14:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:10:50 -0400
To: Juergen Quittek <quittek@netlab.nec.de>
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Cc: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: ISMS working group and charter problems
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

At 09:14 AM 9/8/2005, Juergen Quittek wrote:

>>     Fleischman,> I believe that network management is too important a
>>     Fleischman,> functionality to be designed such that it can only be
>>     Fleischman,> usable within highly confined environmental
>>     Fleischman,> constraints.
>>
>>"must work everywhere," is a highly constraining environment.
>
>We should consider that ISMS is about integrating SNMP into user
>and key management systems.  Such system usually operate over TCP.

You mean like RADIUS? That's a UDP protocol.

>In a highly damaged network ISMS might not be able to help you even
>if you had stuck to SNMP transport over UDP.

So you're arguing we should not bother with the ISMS effort?

>>You certainly may revisit the UDP vs TCP decision on the IETF list;
>>doing so is an appropriate last recourse under our process.
>>
>>However I do not believe it likely that you will get IETF consensus on
>>a specific UDP direction.  I also do not believe it would be
>>productive to take this issue back to the working group.  So, I ask
>>what you believe I should do if you fail to get consensus?  If your
>>options are no ISMS or ISMS over ssh, which would you pick?
>
>The consensus in the WG on this issue was not really rough,
>but rather broad and clear.

Based on your email, the consensus of the group is that TCP is good
enough, since it'll only be interesting to manage networks that are
operating cleanly. I can't imagine that's what the WG really
concluded, but that's how your email reads.