Re: SIP now IPv6

Noel Chiappa <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu> Mon, 28 December 1992 00:50 UTC

Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1992 19:51:38 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Noel Chiappa <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu>
To: dlynch@interop.com, iab@isi.edu, iana@isi.edu, ip-encaps@sunroof.eng.sun.com, sip@caldera.usc.edu
Subject: Re: SIP now IPv6
Cc: jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu

    Is there any emotion out there?  Does anyone really care?

	"Yes", and "no". I wish this pointless, stupid, petty, idiotic,
demeaning, ridiculous debate over who called who what and why would just
go away *RIGHT NOW*.
	Let me preface what I'm about to say by noting that I'm not exactly a
big fan of SIP (I think it contains manifold serious design flaws), so I'm not
a SIP apologist. Let me also say that this criticism is not intended for
anyone in particular; there are many parties to this disgusting imbroglio, and
the cast of participants keeps changing, so if you are offended, but you have
already stopped, I don't mean you, and if you intend to continue, take heart,
you're not the only one.

	Bob Hinden sent a one line note to the SIP/IPAE mailing lists
forwarding Jon Postel's message officially assigning SIP an identifier. Since
i) Jon is the official assigner of these numbers, and ii) the mailing lists
presumably contained the people who need to know this, I fail to see what the
big deal is.
	I would have thought that anyone who stopped three seconds to notice
these two facts who wasn't either i) clinically paranoid or ii) blessed with
the intelligence that God gave a retarded anteater would have managed to
figure out i) that this wasn't a sign of a giant plot run by the Comintern and
the SIP underground to take over the Internet, and ii) that that should be
obvious to anyone whose brain was functioning, and they didn't need to say it.

	It's simply amazing to me how wrapped up in mindless political
paranoia (on all sides) this community has become. Disgusting and repellent,
actually... and if this topic doesn't go away *RIGHT NOW* I'm going to get
*REALLY MAD*.

	Noel