Re: [martini] Call for Consensus: Support for Public GRUUs

"Andrew Allen" <aallen@rim.com> Sun, 29 August 2010 14:27 UTC

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 09:28:24 -0500
From: Andrew Allen <aallen@rim.com>
To: bernard_aboba@hotmail.com, martini@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [martini] Call for Consensus: Support for Public GRUUs

I certainly agree with the compromise we worked out in Masstricht. As I stated during the meeting GRUU is basically a bug fix for SIP and without it originally intended basic SIP capabilities either break, have negative side effects or have significant limitations on other capabilities in order to make them work.

Public GRUU is not complex to implement and with temporary GRUU the compromise gives enough wiggle room to allow other alternatives that provide anonymity to be used provided they don't break the use of Public GRUUs.

The privacy text is not so much about implementing privacy as to ensure that deployments don't break GRUU capabilities in order to achieve privacy.

Especially in enterprise deployments (which is the major MARTINI use case) endpoints will likely not have public IP addresses (or will have SBCs that modify them). So the need for GRUU support here is even more essential than "generic internet SIP".

So I agree that SSPs supporting MARTINI MUST implement support for providing public GRUUs.

Andrew