Re: [martini] Call for Consensus: Support for Public GRUUs

Brian Lindsay <brian.lindsay@genband.com> Sun, 29 August 2010 15:15 UTC

From: Brian Lindsay <brian.lindsay@genband.com>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, "martini@ietf.org" <martini@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 15:15:16 +0000
Subject: Re: [martini] Call for Consensus: Support for Public GRUUs

HI Bernard,

      I would like to see public GRUU's continue to be optional in the GIN draft, rather than mandating them.

      My view is that is that it is appropriate for the GIN draft to define how GRUU interacts with the GIN registration mechanism, but there does not need to be a coupling/dependency such that an implementer of the GIN registration mechanism is also required to implement GRUU.  In short - I think what is in the -05 draft is fine.

*         Most existing SIP Trunking deployments do not use/require GRUU's. The main driver for the martini work has always been about aligning on the semantics of the registration request and request uri population. This can be done without introducing a dependency on GRUU implementation.

*         The GRUU RFC is still an optional mechanism as far as SIP is concerned

*         A baseline set of services can be provided without requiring GRUU. For example, the current draft of SIP Connect 1.1 (  http://www.sipforum.org/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,84/Itemid,75/   ) has a baseline call transfer capability defined that uses re-invites and doesn't use REFER.  REFER-based transfer is optional, as is the usage of out-of-dialog REFER. (The language actually discourages use of REFER due to billing risks/considerations).

  Thanks
      Brian

Brian Lindsay
Sr. Architect, System Architecture