Re: [OAUTH-WG] problem statement

Aiden Bell <aiden449@gmail.com> Tue, 06 September 2011 19:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:17:19 +0100
From: Aiden Bell <aiden449@gmail.com>
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>, OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] problem statement

I agree. This is like saying SSL has an issue because it doesn't stop
keyloggers.

Not an oauth issue.

sent from my android phone
On Sep 6, 2011 8:14 PM, "Eran Hammer-Lahav" <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
> You are one making the argument that no one should be installing apps.
>
> There is no known way to stop users from installing malware and viruses
other than not letting them install anything off a whitelist. The problem
you are describing has nothing to do with OAuth, its a fundamental problem
with running untrusted code on your devices. Once you do that, yes, OAuth
can be exploited but that's true for every authentication scheme when one
side is compromised.

> My point, which you seems to miss, is that the same argument can be made
against any other protocol. TLS offers your certain protections but they are
all gone if you install a bad native app – following your logic people
should not use TLS in apps either.

igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com>" <igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com<mailto:
igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com>>, "oauth@ietf.org<mailto:oauth@ietf.org>"

mike@mtcc.com>> wrote:
> Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
> Don't install crap on you device or computer. OAuth is the least of your
concern if you install bad software.

mike@mtcc.com>> wrote:

> Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:
> I agree. If you are going to install a native app, you better trust it not
to do bad things. Grabbing your password is the least interesting thing such
an app can abuse. I don't see any need to change the v2 draft.