Re: v 1.2, IETF material

Dave Crocker <dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu> Tue, 01 December 1992 15:29 UTC

To: Erik Huizer <Erik.Huizer@surfnet.nl>
Cc: Carl Malamud <carl@malamud.com>, poised@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: v 1.2, IETF material
Org: The Branch Office, Sunnyvale CA
Phone: +1 408 246 8253; fax: +1 408 249 6205
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1992 07:28:41 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu>

While the IESG/IAB meeting at the end of IETF week did conclude
that there were basic legal difficulties with formal recognition of
design teams, I continue to believe that we should/must find a
way to incorporate them.

Attorneys have two modes of operation.  Their default mode is to
find all of the things wrong.  But their other mode is to be told that
a thing must be done and that the attorney's job is to find adequate
justification for it.  We need to invoke this latter mode for
developing the specification for design teams.

Design Teams are a fact of IETF life and much of the discomfort that
we experience in working groups, I believe, is from their absence
(design by committee) or by inadequately incorporating their work (folks
feel coerced, for example.)

The concern for collusion is real and must be delt with directly.  But I
do not believe that avoiding formal mention of design teams is the answer.
I believe that explicit discussion of them -- and the obligations and
limitations to their behavior -- is required.

Dave