Re: v 1.2, IETF material

Frank Kastenholz <kasten@ftp.com> Tue, 01 December 1992 20:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1992 15:40:18 -0500
To: KLENSIN@infoods.mit.edu
Subject: Re: v 1.2, IETF material
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Frank Kastenholz <kasten@ftp.com>
Cc: dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu, Erik.Huizer@surfnet.nl, carl@malamud.com, poised@CNRI.Reston.VA.US

 >    If it is possible to make a translation from ANSI's tested-by-fire-
 > and-many-lawyers procedures, the trick is to avoid making of final
 > decisions in private.  If the output of a design team goes into a public
 > process (e.g., WG review) and the WG (and subsequently IESG) can, both
 > in theory and in practice, modify or even reject the design team's
 > output, then there should be little or no legal problem that we don't
 > have anyway (e.g., when we look at individual contributions).

You probably might also want "preliminary" reports from the teams which
show where they are "now", that allow intelligent comments from the
community to be made "early on" and allow two or more teams to say
"we really ought to coalesce our work into one". My model for saying this
is the effort that is going on in IPv7.

-
Frank Kastenholz