Re: v 1.2, IETF material

John C Klensin <KLENSIN@infoods.mit.edu> Tue, 01 December 1992 20:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1992 15:51:34 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: John C Klensin <KLENSIN@infoods.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: v 1.2, IETF material
To: kasten@ftp.com
Cc: dcrocker@mordor.stanford.edu, Erik.Huizer@surfnet.nl, carl@malamud.com, poised@CNRI.Reston.VA.US

>You probably might also want "preliminary" reports from the teams which
>show where they are "now", that allow intelligent comments from the
>community to be made "early on" and allow two or more teams to say
>"we really ought to coalesce our work into one". My model for saying this
>is the effort that is going on in IPv7.

Very good suggestions as far as I'm concerned, but I think Barry's
suggestion that we try to avoid overspecifying the system needs to be
kept in mind here.

My personal bias is that we should say something, rather than ignore
this fact of life, to cover situations in which an area director or IESG
fairly explicitly sends a design team off to do something (cases in
which they arise as a spontaneous collaboration probably don't need
mentioning, as I think Barry is suggesting).  But maybe we don't have to
write down things like "if you are not going to produce a final report
quickly, make interim reports".  If, after the last months, we can't
manage that kind of guidance, when appropriate, without written rules,
then we have chosen the wrong steering group.

   john