Change suggestion Re: v 1.2, IETF material

Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com> Sun, 29 November 1992 07:52 UTC

To: Carl Malamud <carl@malamud.com>
cc: poised@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Change suggestion Re: v 1.2, IETF material
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Einar Stefferud <Stef@nma.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1992 20:36:59 -0800

As I stated in the POISED WG at the 25th IETF, I find the tendancy to
define our IAB/IESG/IETF/WG relationships in legalistic, court-like
litigious terms to be unfortunate and dangerous.

		I refer specifically to paragraph 6.5:

} 6.5 The IAB will have the role of arbitrating disputes and acting
} as an appellate body.

		   I suggest changing this to read:

  6.5 The IAB will have the role of mediating disputes and acting as
  an oversight body.  As noted in paragraph 3.2 of this procedure, the
  IAB may also act as a "tie-breaker" when presented with a choice by
  a nominating committee selection, or the IAB may decide other
  matters when specifically requested to do so by the IESG or the IETF.

I believe this removes the adversarial nature of the words:

		     "arbitrate" and "appellate".

By fleshing it out a bit, also it fills a gap where-in ad-hoc
occassions may arise when some new and different issue is best
resolved by asking the IAB to make a choice.

Best...\Stef