Re: [Roll] WGLC for draft-thubert-6man-flow-label-for-rpl-03

Anand SVR <anand@ece.iisc.ernet.in> Tue, 05 August 2014 17:18 UTC

From: Anand SVR <anand@ece.iisc.ernet.in>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 22:48:25 +0530
To: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>, "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] WGLC for draft-thubert-6man-flow-label-for-rpl-03

Hi,

The discussion has been very interesting, more so because it is bordering on the legality of the usage of the word MUST. I agree with Philip's take on this. But after reading the RFC, I got this impression that the RFC meant to be a facility or a feature with certain usage guidelines. The MUST usage is more to imply stronger than SHOULD so as to discourage people from modifying it. I suppose at the time of writing, the authors might not have foreseen that in some point in future the value can be changed for other reasons. Therefore the use of MUST MUST be taken with the right spirit it is meant to be taken rather than literally :)

Anand