Re: [stir] current draft charter - ENUM and databases

"Richard Shockey" <richard@shockey.us> Tue, 18 June 2013 19:39 UTC

From: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
To: "'Peterson, Jon'" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, stir@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:38:33 -0400
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter - ENUM and databases

-----Original Message-----
From: stir-bounces@ietf.org [mailto:stir-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Peterson, Jon
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:27 PM
To: Hadriel Kaplan; Brian Rosen
Cc: stir@ietf.org; Henning Schulzrinne

I wouldn't characterize it as transitive trust in that sense, no. Think
about it like a whole nation-state is under a tree, and you ask your local
Forest Guide if you need to find the tree of another nation-state. It's a
way to let non-overlapping authorities opt in to cooperating on a global
system. So yes, you trust your own tree to be able to point you to other
trees as a form of lateral delegation, as an alternative to top-down. But
within the +1 tree, for example, there is a direct delegation of authority.

[RS> ]  Sort of .. The North American Numbering Plan (NANP) is an integrated
telephone numbering plan serving 20 North American countries that share its
resources. These countries include the United States and its territories,
Canada, Bermuda, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, the
British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, the Dominican
Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, St. Maarten, St. Kitts and Nevis,
St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and Turks &
Caicos.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.