Re: [stir] current draft charter

"Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz> Thu, 13 June 2013 17:18 UTC

From: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:18:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.128.117]
x-ems-proccessed: R64IxjzeHPwwd+efoj3ZcA==
x-ems-stamp: cOyCUNHNDTsMsME0LSHVCw==
Cc: "stir@ietf.org" <stir@ietf.org>, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net>
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter

> The liability you described above for ENUM is the same liability for
>caller-id: we need the
> carriers to agree to do this.

The purpose of the proposed work is not to change or extend the authority
of end users - and make no mistake, that was the purpose of public ENUM.
Politically, that ambition was a significant barrier to carrier adoption.
What we're proposing to do here instead is to leverage existing authority
structures to the fullest capacity to increase the security of caller ID.
There are roles carriers could play in this that would help, if they are
interested and able. There are also techniques like iMessage that could
help where carriers are not, or where things are just too early for
carrier involvement. But I don't think this all reduces to just "we need
the carriers to agree to do this," and nor that this has the same
implications for carrier adoption that public ENUM did.

Today there are use cases where carriers delegate some of their authority
over numbers to entities like service bureaus or enterprises. Arguably,
end users in many jurisdictions have certain authority over their numbers
(like the authority to port) and in the future it's possible that
regulators would broaden it. I can't readily speak to the question of
whether or not carriers want to extend the authority of users over numbers
except to say that some probably do and others probably don't. If we look
at a service like Google Voice, say, and how carriers support that
service, we can see at least some evidence for carriers who would benefit
from increasing the authority of users in certain deployments. For the
purposes of securing caller ID, I think activities at many of these
different levels could be effective and that we shouldn't rule them out.

> In what way is DNS with DNSSEC/DANE *not* a PKI?

That is a fair question, I agree, and I don't mean to create some
artificial distinction here. As I've suggested previously, I think the
public DNS dictates a particular delegation and enrollment model for the
pseudo-PKI that is DNSSEC/DANE. It may be that model is a fit for some of
our use cases and not others. In any event, I think the charter and
problem statement should be broad enough to encompass "key management" as
Stephen suggested rather than limiting this to certificates.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.