Re: [stir] current draft charter

"Wendt, Chris" <Chris_Wendt@cable.comcast.com> Thu, 13 June 2013 16:19 UTC

From: "Wendt, Chris" <Chris_Wendt@cable.comcast.com>
To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:18:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [68.87.16.249]
Cc: Dan York <york@isoc.org>, "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@oracle.com>, "stir@ietf.org" <stir@ietf.org>, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net>, Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: [stir] current draft charter

Thanks Brian.

Answer inline.

On Jun 13, 2013, at 10:08 AM, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net> wrote:

> The IETF is starting a new effort on routing,  see the TERQ work.  If you have ideas on routing, that would be the place to bring them.
>
> I think the problem we have here is trying to decide who is a "good guy".  Most of the service providers who would would call "pink" in this context would claim they are good guys.  Trying to create a mechanism to separate good guys from bad guys is very hard.

Sure, they assert their domain, provide DNSSEC to verify, but we notice customer complaints and shut them down.  Plus have cryptographic evidence that it was indeed coming from them.  I think that works pretty well.
If a "bad guy" chooses not to participate in asserting domain, then the service provider can choose whether to accept the calls.

> I'm not sure why protecting TNs individually is more complex then the view you have of routing, especially because we have tried what you are suggesting, although we did not have DNSSEC.  Dealing with the privacy issues, just to start, would be the first real barrier.

I probably don't fully understand the privacy issue, but to me the only thing potentially exposed is the domain that owns the telephone number.

> Let's say we got beyond that.  We then need someone, probably someone like Neustar, to maintain a per country portion of the database.  How would it do that?
>
> Basically, every time a number was delegated, it would change the domain of the entry to reflect the delegation.  That could work.  What it means is that delegation of any kind has to be recorded in the new database.  If you note, certs follow delegation, with you inserting "domain" in the middle (domain follows delegation).  The twist is that instead of a 2nd level reseller issuing a cert to a 3rd level reseller, the 2nd level reseller goes to the new database and has them effectively do the same thing.

So, I defer here to better experts than myself.

> Having databases that associate a domain with a TN might help things like finding a cert, but it doesn't affect the basic issue of how you avoid spoofing.  Do you think the approach we have suggested here (signing of From/To/Time/Session Id) with a cert traceable to the identity is appropriate?

I just think it's overboard to have a cert per identity and I don't believe a service provider I want to police calls TN by TN.
It's the domain representing the wholesale provider or PBX or whatever that we want to police, I think.

> If you are "simply" suggesting the cert is located via DANE in the domain of the caller, then for user@domain, I think we're probably saying the same thing.  Where we seem to differ is that you suggest we have a DNS entry for the TN that has the domain in it, and then you use that to find the cert used for signing.  In the basic case, we're suggesting a URI to the cert in the signaling, which seems simpler.  What matters however is how the DNS tree for the TNs is maintained.

I think using standard DNSSEC mechanisms is simpler and more straight forward, but that's an opinion guided by domain routing as the end state.
Although, I think perhaps it might be wise to have a guiding philosophy that I hope most would agree with.  If we are creating new mechanisms to do things, we are doing it wrong.

> So, my response is the same as I have given before: the privacy and operational issues of putting per TN information in the public DNS are overwhelming.  We have tried it, and it has failed.

I think the main issue, to your point above, is management of a TLD, but i think it's solvable, we have lots of smart people.
If the privacy issue is really an issue, then lets discuss further.

This will be a transition from private databases to a fully distributed system, and I think the long term issue will be the desire to move to this model or a push from regulatory entities if that is where we/they want to go.  In some sense, I think there will be a lot of benefit to it and allow for much better communications applications in the future, but this is speculation.

In the end, we have a great distributed internet model for transporting data, securing data, cryptographic verification of destination and origination, why shouldn't we push that direction for communications as well, isn't that the point?  Or better yet, why won't it be the end state anyway whether the traditional players are involved or not.

Failure is not an option :)