Re: [v6tc] Re: Tunneling and Transition Drafts

"W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com> Fri, 08 April 2005 14:15 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:06:45 -0400
From: "W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com>
To: Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org>
Subject: Re: [v6tc] Re: Tunneling and Transition Drafts
Cc: "v6tc@ietf.org" <v6tc@ietf.org>
Sender: v6tc-bounces@ietf.org

Jeroen Massar wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 14:32 +0200, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>
>>I got the same answer. But company roadmaps could change, I'm not sure about
>>the actual roadmap on this.
>

> Longhorn will be out in 2007? 2008? Even then, it would require people
> to install patches, and hearing that many have not even bothered to
> install SP2 I don't see many people installing such an upgrade either.
> I do hope it changes, but still L2TP will not cross most NAT's.

Jumping in with my old l2tpext hat on just to correct this inaccuracy: L2TP
operates over UDP 1701. Port 115 is for RFC3931 L2TPv3 "IP" mode that was
created for people who don't like the 8 bytes of UDP, however, we kept a UDP
mode in the L2TPv3 spec as well - largely for NAT traversal. The PPP/L2TP that
is widely deployed today and for which the GPL source is available certainly
operates over UDP 1701.

Windows XP not supporting IPv6 in PPP *is* a problem - not just for v6tc though.

Back to your lively debate....

- Mark