Re: [93attendees] Network experiment during the meeting

Rolf Winter <rolf.winter@hs-augsburg.de> Wed, 15 July 2015 08:52 UTC

To: Toerless Eckert <eckert@cisco.com>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
From: Rolf Winter <rolf.winter@hs-augsburg.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 10:52:18 +0200
Cc: joel jaeggli <joelja@gmail.com>, chelliot@pobox.com, 93attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [93attendees] Network experiment during the meeting

Hi,

we were sloppy in our description, apologies. Multicast _is_ being
collected. Basically everything the NIC receives which is not unicast.
But ARP is actually not all that interesting. Most interesting are
actually applications using broadcast/multicast messages. Here is a
protocol distribution of a previous experiment omitting everything below
7% of the overall broadcast/multicast traffic volume.

mDNS (16%), SSDP (15%), LLMNR (13%), NetBIOS (7%) and Dropbox LAN-sync (7%).

This clearly depends on the population of your LAN (mostly depending on
OS distribution and installed apps). In this particular case,
broadcast/multicast traffic peaked at around 1 GB a day, averaging at
about 200 MB a day.

I hope this answers some of your no-legal questions.

Best,

Rolf