Re: [Cfrg] Requesting removal of CFRG co-chair

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Sat, 21 December 2013 08:28 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 00:28:09 -0800
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: Trevor Perrin <trevp@trevp.net>
Cc: iab@iab.org, cfrg@ietf.org, irtf-chair@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Requesting removal of CFRG co-chair

  This request is FUD on top of innuendo.

  The protocol in question, dragonfly, does not have any security
flaws that would cause it to be inappropriate as a TLS cipher suite.
Given that Standards Track RFCs defining TLS cipher suites are
susceptible to attacks that dragonfly is provably resistant to
underscores that fact.

  The recent discussion on the TLS list actually just rehashed old
issues raised 2 years or more before the WGLC, namely:

  1) there is no security proof for resistance to an off-line
      dictionary attack; and
  2) there is text in the draft that deals with a potential side
      channel attack.

It was #1 that prompted the request to CFRG. The TLS WG did
not feel it was capable of evaluating that part of a cryptographic
key exchange and asked the CFRG to take a look. No attack
against dragonfly was brought up during the CFRG review, and
to this day there is no known attack against it.

Issue #2 is the result of a mailing list discussion prior to WGLC.
Note that Trevor  Perrin did not have an opinion on the matter when
it was discussed; he actually only commented 2+ years later, after
WGLC closed. If WG consensus wanted to re-open the issue, it might
make sense to discuss other resolutions as a way to move forward
but Trevor has stated that it doesn't matter, he will oppose the draft
no matter what changes are done.

  I am extremely sorry that my draft seems to have caused the CFRG
chairs to be the target of these accusations.

  It's always easy to be a critic and it's especially easy to launch a
FUD-based criticism. But criticizing someone who volunteers to
do work that one is not capable of doing himself is especially
lazy. The added implication of a conspiracy theory should be all
the more reason to reject it.

  There is no substance to this complaint and I hope it is
summarily dismissed.

  regards,

  Dan.