Re: [DMM] regarding the re-chartering..

Marco Liebsch <Marco.Liebsch@neclab.eu> Thu, 11 September 2014 16:16 UTC

From: Marco Liebsch <Marco.Liebsch@neclab.eu>
To: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <sgundave@cisco.com>, Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@earthlink.net>, "dmm@ietf.org" <dmm@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 16:16:28 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.6.1]
Cc: Vijay Devarapalli <dvijay@rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: [DMM] regarding the re-chartering..

Hi Sri, please see inline.

Then there is no issue and it's the cleanest approach. Multiple IDs possible,
deployment determines which type to use, single MNID present. Done.

>Assuming the backend system can tie all the MN-Id's to a single subscription, any
>presented identifier can be sufficient for the gateway to do the BCE lookup.
>
>If multiple instances can be present, then we need to deal with more error
>cases. Is that really needed ?

Not necessarily for the lookup.
Only if multiple IDs should be conveyed to do more than a lookup..
Example: Use the TAC of an IMEI to tailor QoS on the LMA for a certain device type ;-)
Probably that goes beyond what has been proposed in this thread.

>> I am wondering if it would not be more appropriate to go for a
>>different container option to carry such information. Something like a
>>complementary identifier option.
>
>Sounds interesting. Are you suggesting we leave the current MN-ID as it is, but
>use a new complementary option ? But, if the requirement is for a Mac based
>identifiers, what will be there in the current MN-Id option ? We still need to
>have identifier there ?

I proposed this only for IDs, which are conveyed to complement the one in the
MNID and are being used for other things than a BC lookup.

marco