Re: [dnsext] [spfbis] Obsoleting SPF RRTYPE

Hector Santos <hsantos@isdg.net> Thu, 25 April 2013 17:54 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:52:34 -0400
From: Hector Santos <hsantos@isdg.net>
To: Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>
Cc: spfbis@ietf.org, "dnsext@ietf.org Group" <dnsext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] [spfbis] Obsoleting SPF RRTYPE

In my view, since I was the one who posted and asked questions about
this very issue in IETF and DNSOP to get a feel about the unnamed RRTYPE
and rfc3597 "Handling of Unknown DNS Resource Record (RR) Types", the
current status quo, nine years later, what most preferred, I don't
believe there was a consensus when you include the inputs from the other
list to just stay with TXT. My concern was whether an RFC will be
"sanctioned" as a proposed standard for what most experts believe,
including myself, is a KLUDGE solution and not ideal in large scale and
worst as more and more protocols are written using a TXT only solutions,
its all limited.

What I felt is that some were some key folks who were now more accepting
of a TXT based record and possibly because DNS servers have failed to
keep up with this need (support RFC3597 or something like it).  That was
the expectation in my view and we expected a long term migration to
occur too.

I would support keeping the RRTYPE. I believe it is be less of a cost
issue - implementators don't have to "UPGRADE/KEEP UP" to BIS by
removing RRTYPE overhead.   By making it obsolete, you automatically
make all SPF implementators "out of date."

Anyway, I am not too sure if everyone will like this outside the SPF BIS
group. I didn't get that feel. Only a selective few (key cogs) that are
part of this work has began to show an acceptance to it.  So if that
matters, what is what I was trying to feel in IETF and DNSOP - who else
agreed with that from an endorsement standpoint.

--
HLS