Re: [i2rs] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology-08: (with COMMENT)

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 23 January 2017 11:46 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 12:46:52 +0100
To: shares@ndzh.com
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Cc: i2rs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology@ietf.org, j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de, i2rs-chairs@ietf.org, Kathleen.Moriarty.ietf@gmail.com, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology-08: (with COMMENT)

Hi,

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> wrote:
> Juergen:
>
> Let's focus on your second point.  The topology drafts are I2RS drafts
> designed for the I2RS ephemeral control plane data store.   How can these be
> generic YANG modules when the following is true:
>
> 1) I2RS Data models do not utilize the configuration data store,

This was not clear to me.  I note that the data model's nodes are
"config true", and that "The YANG module defined in this memo is
designed to be accessed via the NETCONF protocol".

If it is true that these data models do not utilize the configuration
data stores, what does the "server-provided" leaf, and the text about
"client-configured" in section 4.4.10 of
draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-network-topo refer to?

If in fact this is correct, I think it would be helpful if a note was
added to the YANG modules, that explains that these models are not
supposed to be implemented in the same way as other "config true" data
models.  In the best of worlds it would also describe how they are
supposed to be implemented (but I assume that this is up to each
vendor for now).

I also note that it is not clear how such models would be advertised
by a NETCONF server.

/martin