Re: [i2rs] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology-08: (with COMMENT)

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 02 February 2017 16:17 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 17:17:32 +0100
To: Xufeng_Liu@jabil.com
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Cc: i2rs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology@ietf.org, akatlas@gmail.com, alexander.clemm@huawei.com, iesg@ietf.org, lberger@labn.net
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l3-topology-08: (with COMMENT)

Hi,

Xufeng Liu <Xufeng_Liu@jabil.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I know that this is a previously discussed solution, but I still have
> some issues with it:
>
> 1) In the case of the interfaces model, for each referenced
> interface-state, the operator needs to configure an interface object
> with the same interface name. However, in the case of the topology
> model, if we need to reference an underlay link-state, we will need to
> configure a topology (called network), a source node, a destination
> node, a source termination-point, a destination termination-point,
> which are five objects without including other consequent mandatory
> objects.

You don't have to configure a "dummy" object if you are not using
leafrefs to config.  And the number of nodes that you need for unique
identification should be totally independent.

> 2) This approach stretches the definition of "system generated"
> non-configurable objects. The system generated objects mentioned in 1)
> are designed to be not configurable. Configuring them may result
> un-desirable consequences.

See above.

> 3) In general, this approach will not work if the referenced schema
> leaf is marked as "config false". In such a case, we cannot configure
> such a referenced leaf since it is not configurable.

I don't understand this comment.

BTW, maybe further discussion about a new solution should be on the
i2rs ML only?

/martin