Re: archives (was The other parts of the report....

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> Sat, 11 September 2004 00:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:22:16 -0400
From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu>
To: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>, scott bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: archives (was The other parts of the report....
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Please refer to RFC2026, section 10.3.1, point 1:

   l. Some works (e.g. works of the U.S. Government) are not subject to
      copyright.  However, to the extent that the submission is or may
      be subject to copyright, the contributor, the organization he
      represents (if any) and the owners of any proprietary rights in
      the contribution, grant an unlimited perpetual, non-exclusive,
      royalty-free, world-wide right and license to the ISOC and the
      IETF under any copyrights in the contribution.  This license
      includes the right to copy, publish and distribute the
      contribution in any way, and to prepare derivative works that are
      based on or incorporate all or part of the contribution, the
      license to such derivative works to be of the same scope as the
      license of the original contribution.

For the purpose of the present discussion, the key word here is
"perpetual".  For any I-D that is considered a contribution to the IETF
process, the provisions above apply, and the IETF's license to publish does
not expire.

The old 1id-guidelines.txt required that I-D's be submitted with one of
three pieces of boilerplate text at the top.  Two of those texts indicate
compliance with RFC2026 section 10, thereby explicitly acknowledging the
terms above.  For I-D's submitted with one of these texts, I don't think
there is an issue.  For I-D's submitted with the third text, it may be best
to solicit continued permission to publish, or simply omit them from the
repository -- after all, they are by definition not "contributions" to the
IETF process, and so we presumably care less about them for archival
purposes.

RFC2026 was published in 1996.  So, this leaves open the question of what
to do with I-D's submitted before these rules went into effect.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer