Re: [IAOC] Badges and blue sheets

Lucy Lynch <llynch@civil-tongue.net> Tue, 16 November 2010 15:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:44:16 -0800
From: Lucy Lynch <llynch@civil-tongue.net>
To: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
Subject: Re: [IAOC] Badges and blue sheets
Cc: "iaoc@ietf.org" <iaoc@ietf.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> I just realized something ...
>
> Note that I'm not saying that volunteer NOC is not good, but, if they are
> waived from the registration fee ... Why IESG members not ?

Jordi -

With respect, this is a more subtle problem set then you're
seeing. I'm a NOC volunteer and I paid on own way this time
and have for most meetings.

Back when I worked for the University of Oregon and volunteering
I had my registration covered for a couple of meetings when I
traveled on my own dime to help get me to the meeting (and the NOC).

My current contributions are not core to getting the network up,
so I just figure out how manage my day job, the IETF, and the NOC
on my own. At least once as an IAOC member I paid my own registration
and travel as the UO didn't see any value in the process role. I
used vacation time and could manage the expense on my own, so I did.

- Lucy