The waist diameter (was: Deprecating IPv6 (Re: draft-bourbaki-6man-classless-ipv6-00))

otroan@employees.org Wed, 07 June 2017 11:35 UTC

From: otroan@employees.org
Subject: The waist diameter (was: Deprecating IPv6 (Re: draft-bourbaki-6man-classless-ipv6-00))
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 13:35:49 +0200
Cc: Matthew Petach <mpetach@netflight.com>, "draft-bourbaki-6man-classless-ipv6@ietf.org" <draft-bourbaki-6man-classless-ipv6@ietf.org>, 6man WG <ipv6@ietf.org>
To: "Leddy, John" <John_Leddy@comcast.com>
References: <CAO42Z2wp72j-yOsR8C=iqS+dX14wLwthAtOTvD5ugj_NQ=NQag@mail.gmail.com> <8be34ef8-557f-652e-0d2f-f1a1e008bffd@gmail.com> <CAKD1Yr0d-BVeG6ceU=F4Jd864SFj6msofeOOi8GAcPxOLsA9dA@mail.gmail.com> <e892e15f-3479-8099-0d72-41fe18ecabb8@gmail.com> <CAEmG1=ryNKJ9EmsEC-00JLjJdygowi6irzvw5QfkxBusLjfn9A@mail.gmail.com> <C3786A24-EC9D-4C9E-AB21-04DDA1ADFE0B@employees.org> <E7F07BF4-8F89-434E-9B9E-03526E2846A4@cable.comcast.com>

John,

> Innovation at the Network layer created the Internet.
> Innovation at the Network layer has let it grow to the point it is at – including things we may not like, ex. NAT.
> The Internet leveraged/adopted/re-architected innovation at the Network layer that occurred even outside of IP – all the other Networking protocols that existed – Appletalk, XNS/Banyan Vines, DECnet…
>
> Without the innovation, we’d still be talking about SONET, X.25, ATM, FrameRelay – very narrow hourglasses/wineglasses.
>
> How narrow of a waist spurs innovation at the layers above and below the Network layer?
> Should we regress in order to spur even more innovation?
> Perhaps IP itself limits innovation at the layers above and below IP?  Ex. Dual Stack – a difficult migration and operational state.
>
> There are “no” Network protocols other than IP today – it is very hard to justify innovation outside of IP and IPV6 is the only platform where change is even possible and worth the effort.  It takes too long and migrations are expensive.
>
> When there was a soup of networking protocols and no clear consensus about how Networking consolidates around a standard set of protocols for systems to communicate – “A core principle of the Internet architecture is to keep the waist of the hourglass/wineglass narrow” - because ubiquity was a major goal.  IP itself was the Major Innovation.
>
> I don’t think there is a basis to say that that principle is correct in today’s Internet, my belief.

Of course both of us are paid to put smarts into the network layer (:-)), but if you look at it from an Internet-wide perspective, can you name any innovations at the network layer that has been successful?

- IP multicast -> fail
- IPsec -> fail
- Mobile IP -> fail
- Fragmentation -> partly fail
- Path MTU discovery -> partly fail

The only thing I can think of are the various forms of tunnelling that are a raging successes.
And NAT. I guess you can say that the network layer's territorial dispute with the transport layer, where network has permanently occupied the first 8 bytes of the transport header have been successful.

The network layer is the only thing ubiquitous among all nodes on the Internet. Thereby making incredibly difficult to change.

The fact that you have near infinite address space does perhaps allow for innovation.
Some good some horrid. E.g. semantic addresses (put the MTU value in the address), or giving individual chunks in a video individual addresses. But the address space is part of the tussle. Where we as a community has decided that the left-most 64 bits are given to the network and the rightmost 64 bits are given to the hosts. Both groups are going to invent stuff that requires more than 64 bits for themselves. If the IETF decided to reset the playing field and withdraw from participating setting the ground rules. Where would that tussle play out?

Best regards,
Ole